It's never too early to start thinking about summer! Join one of our many summer programs to have some fun and enjoy learning opportunities unique to each student's likes and interests.
Read more

About Us

Mission
 

Regina Coeli/St. Joseph school is a Roman Catholic elementary school in the Diocese of Youngstown serving grades PreK-5 through Eight in Alliance, Ohio, and its surrounding communities.  The school shares in the mission of Jesus Christ by educating the holistic needs of its students.  It is open to children of all races and faiths and is committed to high academic standards in a safe, disciplined environment.  The staff, along with the support of parent partners, strives to help students develop their full potential and grow in their relationship with God and each other.

History


In the early 1950's it was apparent that the St. Joseph Parish, the mother church of Alliance, could no longer adequately minister to the post-war increase of Catholic families in the city. Father John Cunningham, pastor of St. Joseph was charged with establishing a new parish. After an initial purchase of a 53 acre contract in the Marian allotment, the new parish was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and given the Latin name Regina Coeli, meaning Queen of Heaven. Because St. Joseph had been overcrowded for several years, Monsignor Cunningham began construction of the school as his first priority in 1956. The new parish was dedicated and blessed by Bishop Emmet M. Walsh in 1958, and numbered about 500 families. The boundaries of the parish divided the city of Alliance at Union Avenue, consequently serving the west side of town. Regina Coeli had one of the first parish councils in the Diocese, organized in 1969 by Father John Turk. The Altar-Rosary Society, Infant of Prague Guild, St. Ann study Club, and the Astro Booster club were among the earliest parish organizations. The present permanent church was remodeled and dedicated by Bishop James W. Malone on April 13, 1975. In order to eliminate the parish debt and establish a permanent church, the school and church were combined into an auditorium. Parishoners decided to remodel the present structure rather than construct the gothic church proposed by Monsignor Cunningham in 1958. A shrine was then constructed to honor the parish patroness, the Blessed Virgin Mary, in 1980. The parish school began operating with five grades in the fall of 1957. The Sisters of St. Dominic of Akron, already staffing St. Joseph, agreed to serve at Regina Coeli. Sister M. Dennis was the first principal, and the rest of the staff included Sister Kevin, and Mrs. Yvonne Welch. Today the Parish conducts a comprehensive religious education program, an active youth ministry program, as well as many adult programs. The parish school merged with St. Joseph's and is still called Regina Coeli. The secondary education is provided at a nearby St. Thomas Aquinas High School. From its inspired beginnings, Regina Coeli has developed into a spiritually active and financially sound parish. Regina Coeli currently serves over 950 families, and the combined school is once again growing.